Sometimes, the different forms of bottles of spirits make us doubt about their volume. Can you buy whisky or vodka of different sizes? What are the most common?
For wine lovers it is not uncommon to find bottles of different sizes. The most used are the Magnum (1.5 liter) and 3/8 (375 ml or 37.5 cl), but we cannot forget that there are many other formats including the latest arrival, the Midas size.
However, in the case of spirits, there are not many standard sizes. It depends more on the imagination of the distillery. Another important aspect in spirits is the alcohol content: the higher the alcohol content, the higher taxes are, leading many brands to reduce their volume to maintain their prices.
The most common sizes of bottles of spirits
- 70cl (standard size): the most frequent, almost all distilleries use it as a reference dimension, which is equivalent to 75 cl for wine.
After this bottle that is the standard classification, of least to most, here are the other common bottle sizes:
- 4-5 cl: the size of the collectors of mini bottles. They can be sold in plastic (in general), although some brands also make glass. Perfect for a tasting. Some distilleries use 4 cl. and others 5 cl.
- 200ml: Presented in classic pocket format is widely used by conventional brands of whisky.
- 50cl: The format of these bottles is usually that of a bottle (glass or plastic), and is very common for American spirits like bourbon. It is also used as a standard for the size of some brands of premium gin.
- 75cl: It is not common in Europe. It is mostly seen in duty free sales, in the United States.
- 1 liter is normally used for the distribution, sale is widespread.
- 1.5 liter: full size Magnum. It is widely used.
- 1.8 liter: In Premium is of a size that is more fashionable, and is called Magnum (although the classic Magnum is the 1.5 - liter)
- 3 liters: Used for special editions.
- 4.5 liters: you can find a gift format, especially for whisky because it is a very popular in countries like the UK.
Did you know that all these sizes exist? What is your favorite? Today, we present different sizes of a great whisky, the Chivas:
Mini Whisky Chivas Regal 12 Years 4cl
Chivas Revolve 17 Years 50cl
Chivas Regal 12 Years 1L
Chivas Regal 4.5L